Wednesday 28 January 2009

A Milestone in Career


Overlord: Dark Legend - Developed by Climax Studios for Nintendo Wii and published by CodeMasters.

I was very lucky to be able to work on this title. Although it's a Wii game and uncomparable to Next-Gen games like PS3 and Xbox360 due to the big difference in memory usage, I can assure you this is going to be the one of the best Wii games you can find up to date in terms of graphic and animation. The developer was pushing everything to the console's limit and it's a really interesting game to play as well.

Working in Climax was my first step into the game industry and I was really excited as the UK have a well established game industry and are ranked 4th in the world after the US, Japan and Canada.

I worked as a junior animator and was involved in hand-keyed in-game animation and some of the in-game cutscenes (IGC). I was very happy working there as everything was well organized and systematic. I learnt a lot since working on this project as the requirement was really high and my lead had given me plenty of guidance which was very valuable as he is a veteran animator with more than 15 years of experience in the animated features and game industry.

There is difference in animating game animation compared to other type of animation as the camera works differently and many other factors such as gameplay input and world collision need to be taken into consideration as well.

Working in this field is really fun as you can always see your animated characters on screen and do whatever you commanded.

No comments:

Post a Comment